Monitor each assigned project to ensure design and construction activities are on schedule, within budget and conducted in compliance with contract and corporate policies and procedures. Must be capable of handling two to three projects simultaneously, or one major project as assigned. Assists in the staffing, outlining project plans, setting project goals/deadlines. Responsible to ensure compliance with all operational procedures. Oversees and directs the project and communicates directly with all project staff, consultants and clients. Construct projects to the Clients satisfaction in order to promote repeat business and management of all functions to accomplish profits.
Principal Areas of Responsibilities
- Corporate Policies and Procedures.
- Project Budget/Project Schedule.
- Project Documentation Control.
- Project Profitability.
- Manage and Develop Staff.
- Client Satisfaction.
- Participate in presentations for business development activities.
- In conjunction with Superintendent(s) establishes manpower, tool, material and equipment requirements in relation to schedule and budget/estimate constraints.
- In cooperation with the Henley safety consultant, implements and monitors a proactive safety program for project to enhance safety awareness and obtain absolute minimum accident frequency in compliance with regulations and corporate policy
- Monitors personnel administration, including hiring, promotions, demotions, reprimands, termination, and assures all training required for each staff member is achieved.
Specific Requirements and Expectation to Meet Responsibilities
- In the performance of duties ensure compliance to corporate policies and procedures
- Review estimates with estimators to understand the project and potential problems. Review and assist with specific buy out scopes for all trade contractors, or the development of bid packages and scopes to minimize and/or cover any known gaps in the estimates. Review client contract to be sure any special requirements are followed or included in trade contractors contracts or purchase orders.
- Work with project team and trade contractors to prepare detailed project schedule. Ensure that the schedule is incorporated into the trade contractors contract and purchase orders. Work with Superintendent to ensure schedule is updated a minimum of once a month or more often as necessary. Monitor critical path activities frequently, to document why these activities start/finish ahead/behind schedule. If necessary, intervene to keep project on or ahead of schedule. When project is 90% complete, assist project team in performing and preparing “incomplete work lists” to ensure the project is fully completed in a timely manner.
- Ensure timely execution and return of all trade contractor contracts and coordinate with accounting department. Ensure correspondence, shop drawings, etc. are timely and properly responded to. Attend weekly trade contractor meetings, prepare meeting minutes as documentation and follow-up.
- Work independently or in cooperation with the project team to approve and forward trade contractor invoices for payment. Prepare monthly project billings to clients. Respond in a timely manner with pricing and schedule impacts for changes in the work (verify requirements included within contract). Monitor labor, materials and equipment costs with Superintendent and/or project team to keep costs in budget. Prepare monthly status reports and progress reports. Explain any deviation that occurs, discuss any problems and their probable impact to the project. Be sure project team is familiar with trade contractor scope of work to minimize or prevent the company from performing trade contractor’s work.
- Develop relationships with Clients for their possible repeat business. When dealing with Client’s, architects, trade contractors, etc., conduct should be professional and courteous. Maintain standards of personal appearance fitting for the position of Project Manager.
- Provide leadership and mentoring in the professional and career development of subordinates as well as timely and fair performance evaluation’s.
Knowledge and Skill Requirements
Technology Skills: Documentation, Resource Control (productivity measuring, evaluating and improving), Cost Control, Scheduling.
Leadership Skills: Management/Leadership Styles, Conflict Resolution, Negotiation Techniques, Conducting Effective Meetings, Team Building, Managing Workforce Diversity.
Computer Skills/Office Productivity: (Windows (Advanced), Word (Advanced), Excel (Advanced), Scanner (Advanced), Outlook (Advanced), Internet Explorer (Intermediate).
Field Equipment Skills: Survey Instruments (Level, Transit, Distance, Meter), Measurement Instruments, Engineering/Architectural Scales.
Safety and Standards Certification: OSHA 30 Hours, First Aid Certification, CPR, Land Disturber Certification, SHA E&S Training (Green Card), LEED Accreditation, CMAA Certification, CSI Certification.
Operations Management: Primavera Project Planner/P-6 (Advanced), PROCORE (Advanced), Timberline (Advanced), Specialty Applications Design/Naviswork/Revit (Advanced).
Requires bachelors degree in Engineering, Construction Management or related field. 10 to 12 years of experience in the field (7 years experience as Assistant Project Manager). Familiar with a variety of field concepts practices and procedures. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Performs a variety of complicated tasks and leads the tasks of others. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is expected.